If you’re the owner of a Facebook business Page, you know how hard it is to gain followers, get Like’s and clicks, and most importantly, have your interactions convert to actual sales. Due to Facebook changing it’s algorithyms and how they do business with Pages, they want most of us Page owners to pay to boost posts or place ads. It’s not a requirement whatsoever (which many people assume), but it certainly CAN, but has not proven, that it helps grow your Page.
I have four business Pages. All of them are so different in their reach and interaction, and they are different in what’s posted and shared:
On Presence online magazine, it’s mostly text quotes (via Buffer) and new content (as links or text) from the website. The reach is steady under 100 for each post, though it’s a loyal following of Like’s and very few comments. There are 1700+ followers.
At Jennifer Salness I post mostly links to other pages with awesome small business and entrepeneurship information, plus my own events, links, and content from my website. The reach for each post is around 50 This is a relatively new page that I’m still growing and “settling into”. There are 300ish followers.
My 15 year old business Crystalline Light is mainly shares of crystal photo’s from other pages, links to my intuitive services and to products on my website that are for sale. I’ve had this page the longest for 5 years, and typically the reach for posts averages around 100 to 200. There are around 1600 followers.
I’ve watched all of the Pages change over the past few months to much lower interaction. I’m still posting the same, it’s just the changes at Facebook affecting it.
Now, something remarkable has happened, however, and I am gaining insight to share with you all.
On my Crystalline Light page yesterday afternoon (2 pm cst), I posted a simple photo I’d taken that had 4 crystals shown and numbered and said, “pick one, i’ll post a reading by video of what each stone is later tonight”. I’ve seen other crystal pages or other card/tarot readers do this and they post a written ‘answer’ to the cards/crystals.
Within an hour it had 400+ views and 1 share. At just over 2 hours later, it had almost 1400 views and 70+ comments. 24 hours later, it reached 4200 views and over 125 comments and only 4 shares. All organic, not paid or boosted.
This post blew ALL my previous posts out of the water by a LONG shot.
The follow up 2 minute video (as a separate post) that I posted at 8 pm had almost 800 views in 6 hours.
The OMG is that I have NEVER had this much engagement from one mid-week, mid-afternoon post EVER, especially a PHOTO! (Photo’s typically get less views than plain text posts, according to the “experts”.)
Now, last week I did participate in a giveaway coordinated by another Page specifically to grow our Like’s. It was 30 participants giving away the chance to win one item from their business, and each person had to like their Page before they could be entered into the contest. My page grew by 600 Like’s in a week. This might not seem like a lot, but it is the most my page has gained within a week with the exception of when I started the page. Because of this I did know there was a higher chance for more interaction. But my post yesterday afternoon was a very spontaneous in the moment decision.
So what is the point in sharing all this?
A few things that I have learned:
* People like posts that tell them what to DO. Seriously, if you tell them to “do this”, they will. It forces them to interact with your page and comment. The photo for the crystal reading asked them to comment with the number they were drawn to. And they did.
* People like Choices. Give them A or B, or show them 1, 2, 3, or 4. Limiting their choices makes it easier to choose one.
* Giving people FREE things is awesome. The new age/metaphysical niche especially like free intuitive or oracle card readings, quick video tips, and images that share new agey stuff. (While this isn’t typically my preferred market for that page, it can’t be avoided that crystals are a little new agey. LOL) Limiting how often you give away freebies, however, is wise. People will come to *expect* free things if you give them often, and if you have a business, you really want them to PAY for your services and products.
* Interacting with your followers on Facebook is KEY! Don’t just post and then be done. Reply to all the comments, ask questions, get people to talk to you an each other.
* Finally, finding a COMMUNITY of other Pages to interact with as your Page is important. I have a handful of other pages that I connect with, as well as other Groups for Page owners.
Facebook can still be effective for your business. Groaning about it “not working” is BS because even if you’re hitting 100 people a day, it’s a 100 people a day instead of 0 people a day. It just has to be done in a creative way.
The main thing to remember about ANY Facebook business page is that you should be posting what is authentic to YOUR BUSINESS. It can be a long hard process to get it right, to get your branding consistent, to gain your followers, etc, but do it YOUR way. Be creative (and within FB guidelines), be consistent, and just be YOU.